- A $1.7 Million Write-off and a New Chapter for Local Public Radio
KCPW has reached an agreement that significantly improves its long-term outlook. The deal restructures the 2008 loan used to purchase the station, and eliminates more than $1.7 million of long-term debt.
Lauren Colucci, KCPW’s General Manager, says that the arrangement means a new day for the local news and information outlet and its listeners.
- Herbert announces 50-year water plan, Wilson to seek Hatch’s Senate seat and Huntsman Jr. officially nominated as ambassador to Russia
In anticipation of Utah’s population growth, Gov. Gary Herbert unveils a 50-year water management plan. Salt Lake County Council member Jenny Wilson announces that she will challenge seven-term Sen. Orrin Hatch. And the White House officially nominates Jon Huntsman Jr. as ambassador to Russia.
At 9 a.m. Friday, Salt Lake Tribune reporter Emma Penrod, Washington Bureau […]
- Building Utah’s communities around public transit
Host and producer Emily Means talks with Keith Bartholomew, a professor at the University of Utah’s City and Metropolitan Planning Department, who lays the groundwork for development around public transit; Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams addresses his vision for neighborhoods near the S-Line streetcar; and Roger Borgenicht of Utahns for Better Transportation shares some […]
- “Made in America” week, Utah County growth and health care
Natalie Gochnour is joined on The Right by Rep. Dan McCay, R-Riverton, and on The Left by Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City. They discuss Senate Republicans’ failure to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act; the White House’s “Made in America” week; an explosion of population growth in Utah County; and Salt Lake County […]
- The Politics of Gender Inequality
The Hinckley Institute Radio Hour (Original Air date: May 11, 2016) — Recently the Hinckley Institute of Politics hosted two panels on the topic of inequality. The first discussion focused on gender inequality: what it means, what causes it, why it’s a problem, and what can be done about it. This forum was recorded on […]
- Bryan Brandenburg – Artist, Game Designer, and Co-founder of Salt Lake Comic Con
The Bottom Line (Original Air Date: September 27, 2016) –Few events have suddenly turned so wildly popular – and profitable – as Salt Lake Comic Con. The state of Utah estimates the economic benefit from Salt Lake Comic Con’s inaugural event in 2013 at over $30 million dollars. The events continue to attract hundreds of […]
- Trucker in deadly smuggling operation to testify next monthSAN ANTONIO (AP) — A scheduled detention hearing for a truck driver charged in the deaths of 10 immigrants found inside his sweltering tractor-trailer in San Antonio has been canceled.
- Child killer put to death in first Ohio execution in 3 yearsLUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A child killer was put to death with no apparent complications Wednesday in Ohio's first execution since a problem-plagued one 3½ years ago triggered an uproar over the reliability of the lethal injection drugs used by the state.
- Sex abuse victims seek help to track ex-priest's whereaboutsBOSTON (AP) — Men who say they were raped by a Catholic priest at the center of the Boston clergy sex abuse scandal say they're worried for children's safety once he's released from prison this week.
- Trump assails GOP senator who opposed health care billWASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump accused Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, a fellow Republican, of disappointing the country by opposing the GOP effort to demolish the Obama health care law, after initial votes demonstrated the party will be hard pressed to make any sweeping changes in the statute.
- EgyptAir hijack: Man jumps from plane cockpit windowA man was filmed jumping from a hijacked EgyptAir plane cockpit window shortly before the hijacker surrendered.
- EgyptAir hijack: Cyprus president laughs off hijackingCyprus President Nicos Anastasiades has said that the hijacking of the plane that landed at Larnaca was not linked to terrorism.
- How did FBI unlock dead gunman's iPhone?The FBI has managed to unlock the iPhone of the San Bernardino gunman without Apple's help, ending a court case, the US justice department says.
- Israel on alert for attacks by Islamic State fighters in SinaiWith so-called Islamic State militants active in Egypt's Sinai, Israeli troops are on alert for attacks just across the border.
Documentary / Special Broadcasts
- KCPW Presents: “Climate One – Does Greening the Economy Leave Some People Behind?” (5/19/17)
- KCPW Presents: “The Pulse – Mothering” (5/12/17)
- KCPW Presents: “America Abroad – After Paris: Global Approaches to Climate Change”
- KCPW Presents: “The Response – America’s Story (ep.4)” (4/28/17)
- KCPW Presents: “America Abroad – Trump’s Approach to the Middle East” (4/21/17)
- NHMU Lecture: “Andrew Zimmern, Food: A Global Perspective on the State of our Food Life”