In the Reveal Two pilot:
- An investigation by WBEZ/Chicago and The Chicago Reader exploring the path heroin takes from Ciudad Juarez to Chicago and across the midwest, where it supplies dealers, addicts and teens. This timely investigation is Reveal’s first collaboration with a station and we are very pleased with the results.
- The heroin segment on Reveal is based on original reporting by WBEZ in Chicago and The Chicago Reader.
- To hear the multi-part WBEZ Heroin LLC series in its entirety, go here.
- A look at the solitary confinement of teens, many of whom are unconvicted, at Rikers Island in NYC.
- A check-in on the impact of the opiate prescription story CIR broke on the first Reveal pilot and the over prescription practices of the VA. What’s happened in the wake of a congressional hearing held within a week of that broadcast?
- We look at the questionable relationship between Hollywood film productions and the American Humane Association on protecting animals on film sets. The Hollywood Reporter produced a powerful examination of the topic and we talk with the writer who went after the story.
- And we hear from a female farmworker on her experiences after she came forward to speak about the sexual abuse in the fields.
This special aired on Friday, March 7, 2014 at 10 AM and 8 PM.